Sunday, November 29, 2009

3/50 Project: Kidsbooks

We've posted before about the 3/50 Project to support local businesses, and ready or not, the Christmas shopping season is coming. It's an opportunity to support local stores, including ones that you might not necessarily have a reason to shop at normally. We'd love it if Green Earth Organics' members would send us information about their favourite local, independently-owned stores and restaurants. If you would like to share your hidden gem, please email info@greenearthorganics.com with about 200 to 300 words, including their address and their website if applicable, and let us know what name you'd like on the article. We deliver as far out as North Vancouver, Abbotsford, Maple Ridge, and all points in between, so please feel free to share your favourites outside of Vancouver too.

Kidsbooks by Melissa

I'll admit it: I like kids' books. I still re-read my L.M. Montgomery books, especially the "Emily" series. I've got a brand new nephew - only five months old - but he's just my newest excuse to shop at Kidsbooks in Kitsilano. I recently purchased a favourite series of mine from when I was a kid - the "Bunnicula" series - so I can read it to my nephew in, oh, about eight years. In the meantime, I'll read it again myself.

The Kidsbooks' staff members are incredibly knowledgeable. As I was shopping, I overheard one person helping a woman choose a puppet for her grandchild, being sure to make sure that the gift was going to be age-appropriate. I overheard another staff member working with a girl who was about twelve to choose a book she would like based on her favourite books and her reading level. The girl came away with several suggestions for the future and a new book clutched to her chest.

Their selection is huge, covering all ages up to "young adult", and everything from picture books to classics to the newest vampire novel. They can also special order books. Besides books, they also carry some toys. I found the perfect gift for my friend's three year old from the Melissa & Doug line of toys.

If you have a kid on your Christmas shopping list, this just might be the place to go, especially if you are going to need some help. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

No comments: