Friday, April 11, 2014

Making Scents at Lakewood Lye

Growing up, dad was always telling us “never wash the car with anything that has harmful chemicals, it goes straight to the ocean.” For some reason, that never seemed to equate to hand soap as well until long after I was already an adult. After that, it was a long and arduous search for soaps I could use without hurting either the environment or my own skin. This last November I had the great fortune of being hired at Green Earth Organics and discovered Lakewood Lye’s products. Three different bars have already made their way home with me and I’m eager to try the rest as well.

Nicole has been making soap for over 10 years now, ever since she took a class from an experienced soap maker in her community. She began selling locally almost immediately and, two years ago, officially registered Lakewood Lye as a business. “I wanted to see if I could work from home and turn my soap making “hobby” into a viable business that would allow me to have time for my 3 children.” Soap making at home has even turned into a family project, with her eldest daughter helping to cut the soaps, package them for market, and even wash the dishes! I imagine washing soap making dishes must be a bit easier more interesting than doing the dinner dishes.

Lakewood Lye’s products are always “100% natural” and contain only 4-6 ingredients. Usually, 3 types of vegetable oils, one essential oil (or a blend, but NEVER any fragrance or artificial scent mixed in), and natural earth clay as a mineral and detoxifyer, and sometimes a small amount of oatmeal, almonds, honey, or goat's milk. “I believe the clays I use make my product very unique - other soap makers make one or two types of soap with clay in them, but each and every type of soap I make contains a different type of clay, to both mineralize the skin, and act as a draw for toxins and impurities, which are absorbed daily through our skin from the environment.  So they take out the bad, and deposit the good.”

My personal favourite (so far!) is the cinnamon spice, which uses red clay and ground coffee for a nice exfoliating effect with cinnamon essential oil to provide its signature scent. Nicole also does seasonal soaps; I recall a lovely orange and black swirled one which was inspired for Halloween. (I took that one home too!) When asked what was on the line-up for spring and summer she shared, “right now it’s Coconut Lime, a very fresh bar loaded with green clay, lime essential oil, and shredded coconut.” Another popular product line not currently listed on her website is her bath salts. “There's one called Lemon Lime Escape that customers have been really loving - It's a combination of Epsom salts, Sea Salts, and Lemon and Lime essential oils.”

Considering that her customer base is almost 100% local, it comes as no surprise that she spends quite a bit of time giving back to her community. Nicole often donates soap to local women’s shelters and various other charities, as well as partners with “Mis’ cel’ la ‘ny” a charity organization that runs a thrift shop on Hastings Street to raise money for re-training women who have come out of substance abuse programs and women’s shelters. 40% of all profits from Lakewood Lye soap sold on site at the thrift shop go straight to “Mis’ cel’ la ‘ny.”

Green Earth Organics is eager to hear from you, if there are any Lakewood Lye products you are interested in that we do not carry, please let us know!

No comments: