Friday, May 30, 2014

Happy Birthday Green Earth Organics!

As we approach our Sweet Sixteen this Sunday June 1st, I thought it would be fun to sit down and interrogate, I mean interview, my boss. Company founder, Dan Henry, contrived the idea of an organic grocery delivery service back in 1998 after hearing of similar companies in England. He had already been looking to incorporate his experience working with an environmental group into a viable business and providing people with fresh organic produce while reducing the planet's carbon footprint was the winning combination.

"I wanted to start a business that I could make a living from and feel that I'm contributing to a better planet."

We have changed a lot since those first door-to-door promotions and telephone hot-line bin changes. Technology has made lives easier by providing a website for ordering and email newsletters, reducing paper waste. 100% of our office paper is reused and recycled, but we still look to reduce the need for it at all.

Our biggest change has been our siblings slowly spreading across Canada. "When I started Green Earth I was quite content having a small local company helping our members make healthier food choices for themselves and their families.  In the last couple years I felt I needed a new challenge..." In 2012 we welcomed three British Columbia cities to our banner; Victoria, Sea to Sky, and Fraser Valley. They were followed in late 2013 by our newest and fastest growing sibling in Calgary, Alberta.

"My goal was, and is, to partner with like-minded individuals, show them what I have learned over the past 16 years and support them along the way. So far this has been a great experience and I have met some great people that I now work with."

What can we expect to see from Green Earth Organics in the future? "I plan on improving our website and making it even more user friendly. I also want to expand our product lines. Hopefully, we will also see more Green Earth Organics locations in other cities in Western Canada this year."

Stay tuned next week to meet the rest of your Green Earth Organics team!

1 comment:

Ian said...

Great blog yyou have here