Tuesday, November 18, 2014

When Was The Last Time You Tried a New Food?

Did you know that the physiology of our taste buds change as we age? These changes cause us to experience food differently. The result is that a food that you didn't like as a child, you may enjoy now.

Do you want a simple step for improving your nutrition?

Or, perhaps you have a child who is a picky eater? Last week I shared that an important way to encourage picky kids to try new foods is to be a “trying new food” role model. As the saying goes: “actions speak louder than words”.

The simple step is to play the new food challenge. It’s easy, just pick a new food or recipe to try every week. Think once a week is too much? How about 2 new foods per month? Or, once a month?

I've found this to be an especially successful technique when working with families with picky school-age kids – kids who should have long ago grown out of the picky eating phase. It engages their love of adventure and exploring the world by creating a game of it.



I admit it. I play this game myself! In the past year I re-tried polenta, chia seeds, spaghetti squash, radicchio, and Belgium endive. And, I discovered that I now love polenta, chia seeds, spaghetti squash and Belgium endive. Radicchio was just okay. Four out of 5 is an incredible success rate! On my radar this winter are Brussels sprouts, okra, and millet.

Be honest. When was the last time that you tried a new food (or re-tried a food that you didn’t like previously)? Whether for your own health or to be a role model for your kids, I encourage you to join me in the game!

Kristen Yarker, MSc, RD helps you experience the pleasure (and energy) of healthy eating. After 6 years of only working with the toughest customers (i.e. picky kids), she is now serving adults who want amazing energy to live their busy lives without sacrificing the pleasure of delicious food. Discover how (and get recipes too) at:

www.KristenYarker.com

www.Facebook.com/KristenYarkerNutrition

Twitter: @KristenYarker

Pinterest: KristenYarker

No comments: