Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Food Trends I'm Excited About

I admit that I like this time of year. No, not because of the holidays. Nor am I a skier. It’s because I love seeing the food trend predictions. Many of the predictions I’ve seen coming a mile away. Others come at me from left field – I’m thinking “Where the heck did they get that idea?”
Many food trends drive me crazy. But that’s a rant that I’ll save for another day.
Today I wanted to share some of the 2015 food trends that I’m loving. I encourage you to jump aboard these bandwagons!

Fermented Foods

Scientists are discovering more and more roles that our gut bacteria play in our health. No longer just helping in digestion, we’re now seeing that they may play a role in depression, obesity, auto-immune diseases, and many more health conditions.
One way to promote a healthy gut microbiome is to eat fermented foods. While this is a trend for 2015, it’s hardly new. Most cultures around the world traditionally include fermented foods – examples include yogurt, kimchee, kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha, etc.

Sprouted Seeds, Legumes, Nuts and Grains

In the years that I’ve provided nutrition advice, I’ve noticed that many people believe that they’re eating lots of variety. However, that morning cereal and toast, wrap at lunch, and pasta dinner are all just refined wheat in different shapes. So, I love this trend because it should open your eyes and get you trying different grains/carbs.
Also, many people who complain about gas from eating legumes (i.e. beans and lentils) find that sprouting them first makes them more easily digestible (less musical).

Move Over Protein – Veggies are the Star

Protein has long been the star of the plate. Most chefs start with the protein and then create the rest of the meal around it. No more. Big time, famous chefs are using vegetables as the star of the meal – building the rest of the elements around them. For over a decade I’ve been recommending making half your plate veggies. It’s fantastic to see restaurants considering vegetables as more than a just a garnish.

Pickled Veggies

Hey, I’m a fan of any trend that makes it cool to eat vegetables. Pickled? Sure, why not – if it gets you eating more veggies, I’m happy. Do a quick pickle of some in-season veggies to make an appy or potluck dish that will impress your most foodie focused friends.

Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower

Did I mention that I’m a fan of any trend that makes it cool to eat veggies?! After the success of kale, it’s Brassica cousins are now becoming popular. Thankfully, being in the spotlight, we’re seeing many new recipes that provide alternatives to boiling these until they’re a sulfurous mush. Previously I shared about this trend being the cause of me overcoming my dislike of cauliflower. Below I’m sharing a cabbage dish that I’ve served at many a dinner party and no-one has ever complained that I made them eat cabbage (and they’re a vocal bunch).

Healthier Kids Meals

This trend makes me want to shout Halleluiah! It’s been a pet peeve of mine that even in restaurants with healthy main menus, the kids menu was an unhealthy and uninspired list of mac and cheese, chicken strips, and hotdog. No longer! Restaurants are clueing in that parents want their kids to eat healthfully and will be loyal customers if they provide a menu with tasty, healthy choices. My fingers are crossed that more restaurants wake up to this reality.

No comments: