Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Rushed Mornings? Overnight Oatmeal to the Rescue!

I’m sure that it’s not news to you that it’s important to eat breakfast. Everyone knows that – right? So why do almost 40% of Canadians regularly skip breakfast?

Time crunch. Rushed mornings.

What if I told you that you could eat a delicious breakfast made of real foods, without having to do a single thing in the morning?

Would that help you eat breakfast?

The solution: overnight oatmeal.

It’s so easy that you won’t believe it. I certainly was thinking “Where have you been all my life?” when I tried them for the first time this Fall. I’ve been eating them almost every morning since, mixing and matching the toppings! In fact, I’m writing this at 10pm and there are oats in my fridge, ready for tomorrow morning.

Here’s how to make your own overnight oats:

Oats:
  • Combine equal parts rolled or steel cut oats with yogurt and milk (or plant-based milk alternative) in a bowl or the container that you’ll take this in to go (I carry mine with me in a mason jar). A generous adult serving is 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup milk. For kids, start with 1/4 cup of each ingredient and adjust from there depending on your child’s appetite.

Protein:
  • Choose a protein that you like. Examples include hemp hearts (my personal favourite), chia seeds, chopped or sliced nuts, nut butter, pumpkin seeds. Add it to the oat mixture.

Fruit:
Choose a fruit that you like. What came in your Box this week? Examples include: chopped apples or applesauce, fresh or frozen berries, mango, melon, pomegranate, pumpkin puree, or dried fruits like raisins or chopped apricots. Add fruit to the oat mixture.

Refrigerate:
As the name of this dish suggests, prepare everything the night before. Place it in the fridge. The next morning, give it a stir and enjoy!





** I’m proud to be a registered dietitian. March is #NutritionMonth – when dietitians across North America share our love of healthy eating! This article is inspired by the Dietitians of Canada's Nutrition Month Campaign Materials. Find more information about Nutrition Month at www.nutritionmonth2015.ca. **

For ideas of how to change what you’re eating, check out my free resource: How to Eat Healthy to Boost Your Energy: 10 Steps that Even Healthy Eaters Miss at www.KristenYarker.com/womens-nutrition (Guys: head over to www.KristenYarker.com/mens-nutrition
Twitter: @KristenYarker
Pinterest: KristenYarker

No comments: