Sunday, July 26, 2015

Build Your Health Bank

Have you ever had your life change in a single moment?

I did. Last week.

I was returning home from camping and surfing in Tofino-Ucluelet. It had been a great trip complete with being outdoors 24 hours per day in beautiful weather, catching up with long-time friends, and 3 not-crowded surf sessions.

Like many of the BC roads, the drive from the coast to Port Alberni involves twisty-turny mountain roads.  It was raining on the summit, and while I had slowed down, as I turned one corner I felt my wheels slip on the oily-wet road.  The wheels never re-gripped the road again and while I managed to avoid the oncoming traffic, I ended up crashing into the ditch.  My car is a write-off.

But amazingly, I walked away.

For the most part I’m okay.

I credit my excellent ability to heal to the fact that my health bank was full. I’m healthy. I’m physically active and I eat healthfully.

Eating healthfully not only makes you healthy in the present moment, but it builds up a reserve (what I call your health bank) that you can draw upon in times of stress. That stress may be psychological or physical, expected or unexpected. Everything from training for a race, to preparing for final exams, to recovering from a car crash. 

Before that moment, I was exercising and eating well to build up my bank to support my surf skills. I’ve spent the last two years learning to surf - no easy task as a woman in my late thirties. But that’s a whole other story. Now, I’m using my bank to recover and rehabilitate from a car crash.

My recovery is going well. Everyone whom I’ve come across since my cash, from the bystanders, to the RCMP officer, to the acupuncture practitioner, can’t believe how well I’m healing. Those vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that I fuel my body with are now working to heal me.

It’s been a week since the crash and my life is getting back to normal. I think that in a few more days I’ll be able to jog, ride a bike, and do yoga. It’ll be a bit longer before I’m back on a surf board.

I’m sharing this experience with you to inspire you to take care of your body. Build up the balance in your health bank. Eat lots of organic vegetables and fruit. Include plant-based protein. Choose healthy fats. Limit sweets and other processed foods to “sometimes foods”. Don’t over-use caffeine or alcohol.

You never know when your life will change in a single moment and you’ll need to use your savings.

Kristen Yarker, MSc, RD helps moms and dads support your picky kids to get good nutrition today…and instill a life-long love of healthy eating. After 7 years of moms asking for help with their eating too, Kristen created 40 Days to a Healthier, Happier You women’s weight loss program. Find out more at www.KristenYarker.com


www.KristenYarker.com
www.Facebook.com/KristenYarkerNutrition
Instagram: @KristenYarker
Twitter: @KristenYarker
Pinterest: KristenYarker 

2 comments:

Julia James said...

Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your experience. I wholeheartedly agree! Taking care of your body is one of the most precious gifts we can all give to ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Another point with "Build Your Health Bank" is that eating fresh, organic foods is like making regular 'deposits' into your 'health insurance'. The benefits are both at the present time and towards one's future. The little 'extra' paid each time for the organic foods is well worth it in the long run both for our health and for the environment.