Tuesday, June 23, 2015

When in Rome, Eat Like a Local

Aloha! I’m writing this message to you while sitting on the lanai, looking out over
Waikiki beach. My trip inspired me to write to you about taking the opportunity when on vacation to try new foods. It’s timely with kids finishing up school and summer vacation starting.

We humans are omnivores. Our bodies are healthiest when we enjoying a wide variety of foods. So trying new foods when on vacation is good for us.

In addition, if you’ve got a picky eater, it’s a fantastic opportunity to role model being open to trying new foods. You’re constantly asking your child to try new things. Now it’s your turn to lead the way.   

Tying the local foods are a part of exploring new destinations and new cultures. I’ve known picky eaters who refuse to try new foods at home to get in the spirit of discovery and try new things on vacation.

Fantastic places to find local foods are at farmers’ markets, farm gates, and local grocery stores. Do a little Google searching or ask your concierge about farmers’ markets and farm tours. 

In case you’re wondering, yes, I do practice what I preach. This trip I’ve eaten Hawaiian-grown pineapples, papayas, mangos and lychees bought at a farmers’ market. Yes, I’ve eaten all of these before. But eating ones that were picked fully ripe the day prior is like trying these for the first time. I also tried noni, kava, li hing pineapple and spam musubi, all for the first time. I liked the noni and li hing pineapple. I didn’t care for the numbing effect of the kava. But, surprisingly, I did like the spam musubi, especially the spam and egg version. It makes the perfect post-surf snack.

I encourage you to take a “when in Rome” approach when on vacation and try new foods. You may find new favourites.  And if you don’t like what you try, you’ll at least have more stories to tell!


Kristen Yarker, MSc, RD helps moms and dads support your picky kids to get good nutrition today…and instill a life-long love of healthy eating. After 7 years of moms asking for help with their eating too, Kristen created 40 Days to a Healthier, Happier You women’s weight loss program. Find out more at www.KristenYarker.com


www.KristenYarker.com
www.Facebook.com/KristenYarkerNutrition
Instagram: @KristenYarker
Twitter: @KristenYarker
Pinterest: KristenYarker

No comments: